Because of the intensity of Prana in the Solar Plexus Chakra, it translates to “the city of gems” and is often compared to the brilliant power of the Sun, which radiates life giving energy to Earth. Like the Sun, this Chakra radiates Prana throughout the entire human makeup, giving us vitality and life. The main function of this energy center is to provide actual momentum to move forward and realize personal desires and intentions in the world. This Chakra is also known to play a fundamental role in the development of personal power, feeds one’s direction in life and the actions taken in order to reach your goals, influences preoccupations about social status and self-image and has a connection with the Sun, heat, the energy of light, all forms of power. This Chakra also controls our balance of Prana, to strengthen and consolidate our health, attracts Prana from the cosmos, while governing the metabolism and digestive system.
- Mani means "jewel" or "gem" and Pur means "city"
- This Chakra is the third Chakra
- Color: Yellow
- Mantra: Ram
- Element: Fire
- Balancing Stones and Crystals: Citrine, Yellow Jade, Yellow Topaz and Golden Yellow Labradorite
- Essential Oils: Carnation, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Rosemary, Mandarin, Patchouli, Clary Sage, Juniper, Lemon, Roman Chamomile and Lavender
- Location: This Chakra is located in the Solar Plexus
The Chakra symbiology
- The lotus with ten petals represents the ten Pranas.
- The downward pointing triangle indicates the spreading of Prana, growth and development.
- The fire element manifests in the body as heat in the Solar Plexus.
Signs of a balanced Chakra
- Be assertive.
- Have harmonious relationships with your surrounding.
- Exert your will in a way that leads to the expected results somewhat effortlessly.
- Will and personal power.
- Taking responsibility for one’s life and taking control.
- Mental abilities and the intellect.
- Making decisions and setting the direction.
- Clarity of judgments.
- Personal identity and personality.
- Self-assurance and confidence.
Issues associated with an imbalance in this Chakra
- Feeling of helplessness and irresponsibility.
- Being obsessed with mundane details.
- Being manipulative.
- Lacking a clear sense of direction, purpose or ambition.
- Making plans or having a lot of ideas without knowing effortless ways to realize them.
Other names this Chakras is referred to as
- 3rd Chakra
Practices for the Solar Plexus Chakra
The following practices are intended to clear and balance Manipura. We encourage you to use these practices individually or combine them together for a more effective practice. This practice is sometimes referred to as Manipura Yoga.
Asanas for this Chakra
Pranayama for this Chakra
Hasta Mudras for this Chakra
Bandha for this Chakra
Hatha Mudra for this Chakra
Mantra for this Chakra
The Bija Mantra or seed Mantra for the Chakra is RAM. Chanting this Mantra during practices and while in a walking state will help to clear and balance this Chakra. While chanting this Bija Mantra, visualize the color yellow at this Chakra.
Color therapy for this Chakra
- Wearing clothing in the color yellow is good way to use the sense of sight to help clear and balance this Chakra.
- Preform Shavasana or lay down on the back, place a gemstone that is associated with this Chakra at the Chakra.
- While Meditating, visualize the color yellow coming from this Chakra.
- Eating yellow fruits and vegetables. Negatively Pranic foods or night shades such as peppers should be avoided.
- If you have a practice room, hang yellow sheets on the walls during your practice.