The Sacral Chakra is intimately involved in the creative process and governs both your reproductive organs as well as your imagination. Keeping this Chakra balanced is essential for coping with new experiences and exploring the world. These symbols point to the close relationship between the phases of the Moon and the fluctuations in the water and the emotions. Furthermore, the symbolism of the Moon relates to the feminine menstrual cycle that takes the same number of days to complete and the connection of this Chakra with sexual organs and reproduction. This Chakra is associated with the realm of emotions. It’s the center of our feelings and sensations. Opening this Chakra allows you to “feel” the world around and in us. As such, it’s an important Chakra at the foundation of our feeling of well-being. This Chakra is instrumental in developing flexibility in our life. Associated with the water element, it’s characterized by movement and flow in our emotions and thoughts. It supports personal expansion and the formation of identity through relating to others and to the world. When this Chakra is balanced, the relationship with the world and other people is centered around nurturing, pleasure, harmonious exchange. This Chakra is associated with procreation, relationships, sexual fantasies and inspiration to create.
- Sva means "Self" and Shthana means "Place"
- This Chakra is the Second Chakra
- Color: Orange
- Mantra: Vam
- Element: Water
- Balancing Stones and Crystals: Carnelian and Tiger's Eye
- Essential Oils: Gardenia
- Location: This Chakra is located two inches below your belly button
- Gland: Pancreas
The Chakra symbiology
- The color of this Chakra is orange, the color of the sunrise.
- Symbolic of the rising of consciousness.
- Orange is the color of activity and purity.
- Pointing to the positive qualities that unfold in this Chakra such as faith, joy, self confidence and energy.
The lotus with six petals represents our negative qualities which are to be overcome
Signs of a balanced Chakra
- Feeling the outer and inner worlds.
- Relationships and relating.
- Emotions and feelings.
- Expression of sexuality and sensual pleasure.
Issues associated with an imbalance in this Chakra
- Feeling stuck.
- Being ruled by your emotions.
- Feeling out of touch with yourself and your feelings.
- Dependency on substances.
- Co-dependency with other people.
- Overindulgence in fantasies and sexual obsessions.
- The lack of sexual desire or satisfaction.
Other names this Chakra is referred to as
- 2nd Chakra
Practices for the Sacral Chakra
The following practices are intended to clear and balance this Chakra. We encourage you to use these practices individually or combine them together for a more effective practice. This practice is sometimes referred to as Svdhisthana Yoga.
Asanas for this Chakra
Hasta Mudras for this Chakra
Mantra for this Chakra
The Bija Mantra or seed Mantra for the Chakra is VAM. Chanting this Mantra during practices and while in a walking state will help to clear and balance this Chakra. While chanting this Bija Mantra, visualize the color orange at this Chakra.
Color therapy for this Chakra
- Wearing clothing in the color orange is good way to use the sense of sight to help clear and balance this Chakra.
- Preform Shavasana or lay down on the back, place a gemstone that is associated with this Chakra at the Chakra.
- While Meditating, visualize the color orange coming from this Chakra.
- Eating orange fruits and vegetables. Negatively Pranic foods or night shades such as peppers should be avoided.
- If you have a practice room, hang orange sheets on the walls during your practice.