The Throat Chakra is know as the “purification center,” as it purifies and harmonizes all opposites. This Chakra is also known as the “center of nectar” because it is the meeting point where poison and nectar, or good and bad are united into a common blissful experience. Another will known term for this Chakra is the “center of speech” because of the location of this Chakra and the throat and vocal cords. This Chakra is associated with speech, communication, the voice of the heart, discrimination, acceptance, forgiveness and growth through expression.
- Visha means "impurity" or "poison" and Shuddhi means "purify"
- This Chakra is the fifth Chakra
- Color: Blue
- Mantra: Ham
- Element: Space or Ether
- Balancing Stones and Crystals: Angelite, Sodalite, Aquamarine, Lapis Lazuli, Turquoise, Azurite, Blue Sapphire and Blue Topaz
- Essential Oils: Frankincense, Sandalwood, Rose, Neroli, Geranium, Jasmine, Sage, Cypress, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Clove and Tea Tree Oil
- Location: This Chakra is located at the throat
- Gland: Thyroid
The Chakra symbiology
- The lotus with sixteen petals represents the sixteen potential abilities or Klas that a human can develop.
- The number sixteen can also represent the sixteen vowels of the Sanskrit alphabet.
- The origin of Udana Prana (Udana Prana is the downward flow of energy.)
- The name of this Chakra is derived from this particular function.
- All issues and unpleasant experiences that have suppressed during the course of our life, sit in the subconscious mind until they are appropriately dealt with.
- Expression of yourself - your truth, purpose in life and creativity.
Signs of a balanced Chakra
- Propensity to create.
- Good sense of timing.
- Realizing your vocation and purpose.
Issues associated with an imbalance in this Chakra
- Telling lies.
- Not being able to listen to others.
- Excessive fear of speaking.
- Lack of control over one’s speech and speaking too much or inappropriately.
- Small and imperceptible voice.
- Issues with keeping secrets and or your word.
Other names this Chakra is referred to as
Practice for the Throat Chakra
The following practices are intended to clear and balance Vishuddha. We encourage you to use these practices individually or combine them together for a more effective practice. This practice is sometimes referred to as Vishuddhi Yoga and Vishuddha Yoga.
Asanas for this Chakra
Pranayama for this Chakra
Hasta Mudras for this Chakra
Hatha Mudras for this Chakra
Bandha for this Chakra
Mantra for this Chakra
The Bija Mantra or seed Mantra for the Chakra is HAM. Chanting this Mantra during practices and while in a walking state will help to clear and balance this Chakra. While chanting this Bija Mantra, visualize the color light blue at this Chakra.
Color Therapy for this Chakra
- Wearing clothing in the color light blue is good way to use the sense of sight to help clear and balance this Chakra.
- Preform Shavasana or lay down on the back, place a gemstone that is associated with this Chakra at the Chakra.
- While Meditating, visualize the color light blue coming from Vishuddhi.
- Eating fruits and vegetables. Negatively Pranic foods or night shades should be avoided.
- If you have a practice room, hang light blue sheets on the walls during your practice.